Safe and Just Nebraska, Inc. Wants Everyone to Be Safe
We don’t throw people away because they made a mistake.
That is a founding principle of Safe and Just Nebraska, Inc., a new non-profit organization based in Omaha, Neb.
Safe and Just Nebraska, Inc. exists to help people who are disadvantaged or whose safety is threatened because of a previous contact with the criminal justice system. These individuals often have difficulty reintegrating into their communities. Safe and Just Nebraska, Inc. works to overcome obstacles to reintegration. Safe and Just Nebraska, Inc., supports safe communities, and believes that the right to feel safe in their homes and persons extends to all — including those who have had a previous contact with the criminal justice system.
People who come through the criminal justice system are parents, sons and daughters, brothers and sisters, neighbors and friends. They are for the most part just like anyone else. They made mistakes and they paid for them.
These individuals can become productive and valuable members of our communities if they can find decent places to live, earn decent incomes and maintain their family and social networks. All too often, however, people who have been through the criminal justice system are persecuted long after they have completed their sentences.
They have trouble finding housing and jobs, and their families are shunned or targeted for violence.
Safe and Just Nebraska, Inc., will raise funds that will be used to help these people in the areas of housing, employment and personal safety and security. Safe and Just Nebraska, Inc., will use donated funds to support these initiatives:
- Supporting the operations of Nebraskans Unafraid and FEARLESS;
- Building a legal war chest to underwrite legal challenges to unjust laws and to fight systemic injustice;
- Providing microgrants to support people in finding housing and employment;
- Providing microgrants to people to buy home safety equipment — cameras, monitoring services, legal personal protection items;
- Delivering public education about how to create public policy that reduces violence in our communities;
- Raising capital funds to underwrite a short-term housing facility where people coming out of prison can live in a dignified way that will foster their return to their communities as productive tax-paying citizens.
Safe and Just Nebraska, Inc., has applied for tax-exempt status. Until that designation is granted, gifts to Safe and Just Nebraska, Inc., are not tax deductible. However, if you are moved to make a gift to one of the above-listed initiatives, you may do so at this link.